When in doubt, pedal out!

When in doubt, pedal out!
It's what I do.

Drink up!

Drink up!

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Uphill Downhill


So here is a little something that happened during a bike ride late May.  So my dear friend and I sign up for a bike ride.  She and I are all pumped and psyched about it too.  Well, we hadn't been riding consistently but whatev - we were going to tackle the ride like no other.
Ride starts, and we take off.  Granted there are a variety of distances you can do: 80miles, 65, 50, 30, 15 or just watch.  We decided on riding for 50 miles.  Yeah buddy!!  We will rock this!  Look out!  Well the looking out and the rocking last about the first 10 miles.  Those route was ridiculous!!  Not only where there hills, but there were hills upon hills!  And the heat was ridiculous!! It felt like someone brought the sun heck of alot closer than what we were used to.  Could that be possible?  Uh yeah.  

Well, my cycling buddy and I got separated in our drafting packs.  She's got some definite speed and I was trailing behind.  Ummm, I think b/c I'm .....oh what's the word - OOMPA LOOMPA!!  Ok, that's two words...or maybe one b/c it's hyphenated.  Don't judge.    Yeah, anyway, I really need to work out.  And so the course goes up and down, left and right, upside down too.  I probably could have walked next to my bike Chase and made it up the spawn of satan hill alot faster.

Well, I did manage to catch up to my friend at the first rest stop 10 miles into the ride.  Mind you, I was already thinking....no no, I had already made up my mind that I was going to opt for the 30 mile route if I didn't see her at the rest area.  And if I did see her, I would have to persuade her.  My chances of that - well, I did not know.  Found my friend and without speaking a word.... just the look on our faces said it all.  And we just said "30," and smiled in relief.  I have need been so contempt with going the shorter route.  

Even though we managed to persuade each other to take a shorter route to the finish line, did not mean it was easier.  We still had more hills, a flat tire, and some crazy heat to battle on our way.  But  I will say there were some fly bikes and cyclists out there!  Yeah for me!  

Ahh, but aside from the amazing lunch they gave us, Portabello 'shroom burgers :) and the free Sweet Leaf Tea that I would marry I could and the great talks I get to have with my friend...... I got to experience this one of a kind amazing downhill.  

Ever feel like you are about to walk off the face of the world when there is a steep downhill up ahead when you are driving?  Or it may look like a drop you are about to go on while sitting in the front of a rollercoaster.  :)  There was this massive hill that I got to fly down.  I was going so fast that I pumped my back brakes a little just to be safe, but really, what else can you do?  You just have to go with it.   It was amazing!!!  I even yelled like Goofy yelled when he first learned to ski down a slope.  It was awesome!   When the ride was over....when I got down the hill, I rode that momentum as far as I could and pedalled out as much as Chase would let me.  I looked down at my max speed and to surprise it read 41 mph!  I was pretty sure that I read it right as I flew downhill, hence the Goofy yell.  I took my double take and cheered on my friend as we coasted almost the rest of the way to the end of the race.  Uh-mazing!!

When in doubt, pedal out
E.

No comments: