When in doubt, pedal out!

When in doubt, pedal out!
It's what I do.

Drink up!

Drink up!

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Time...in the city

of Laredo!!

Haha nothing like times with the family, cousins and being outdoors. Yes, family and cousins are one in the same, but are they really? I think on a longitude view of the family tree, these people are like extended siblings who are all so similar yet different. I love them. lol.

I felt like I was 12 again riding in truck to Laredo from Corpus. I was nominated to drive to Laredo. Oh yes. I think b/c I suggested to take my SUV for the family trip. I think that we'll always take a family trip to Laredo until I'm married.....and we know that is not happening. At least not yet. (optimism or I am just trying to convince myself?) Thank goodness I like and love the people I all share my genetic blueprints. Well, I basically informed my dad that me driving the family to Laredo would not be a great idea b/c I was tired. Oh, snap! He was tired too. I'm sure if I needed to, I could do it. But why did I conk out before we even left Corpus and didn't wake up until 3 blocks from my grandfather's house?! Yeah, real embarrassed...but rested too :)

We were actually not the first family there - impressive! Met up with my cousins who drove themselves. Oh they are getting so much older. Which only means that so .....are my aunts and uncles. lol. No, I meant me too. Alas, I'm comfortable w/ again, but in my business, everyone I work with stays young and they think 22 is old. Oh, I can't wait till they turn 25...haha!

My Grandpa's, the Ramos side, is the designated place to meet up for Christmas, to open gifts and to just celebrate the day. It's amazing. I remember before my family relocated to Germany how we would run around the place. Yearrrrs later, cousins are still running around. :o) We have celebrated the holidays at my Grandparents houses in Laredo since as long as we have lived in the states. So intense. So much love there. I smile at the thought of walking through the front doors. 'Wela and 'Welo Perez have long passed, but I keep the memory of Christmas at their house on Davis Street alive in my heart. There is no extinguishing those pages of stories or thoughts or pictures that are engraved (in color) in my heart. Once my brother and I found my 'welo Perez's laundry and played, yeah, you guessed it - dress up. We rocked the fedoras too! But the funny thing was that my 'welo's yellow/gold boxers fit like pants for us! haha We also wore his dress shirts and fat ties. He was a large man...and I was probably no taller than 3 feet. The man, Antonio H Perez, never frowned. He was a baseball player, a barber, a husband, a dad and a grandpa. What's to frown about?? I loved that guy. Mom once said, that it was sad to know that he never saw my play baseball/softball. I felt like he saw every game. Heaven has certainly given the best seat in the house. I'm more than sure he was there every second. He actually passed during the '89 World Series, Giants vs A's. In the Battle of the Bridge (or Bay) Series. It was the one with an Earthquake stopped the game. Go figure. He passed during a game - seems perfect if you ask me. I read him the paper during his funeral. It seemed appropiate. Still feels that way today.

Wow - I just put some serious memories on the table. Nice. The holidays bring it out and I more than fine sharing. If you read, than you probably know my middle name, and that makes it good.

Christmas was better than ezra. Can I say that?

I loved seeing my cousins, aunts uncles and grandpa Rrrramos. Cute as ever. He was overwhelmed with the amount of people in his house. Mom counted 33 total. Felt like 84 for me. I stepped outside to get some air b/c it was too warm in doors. Oh, and check this out. I got to meet my cousin's daughter, Haylee. She is a smiler. Ahhhh, I love her. I told Chris that I think she is going to be athletic. :o) And as promised, I hooked her up with a soccerball. I'm thinking I might need to get her kicking it around. So great to see kids running around everywhere!

We were the last family to leave, but wow it was good. I was slightly tired upon our return to Corpus, but nothing a lil sugar free Red Bull couldn't cure. :) Oh, I think that might be last red bull for a long time. I felt my heart racing and almost leap out of my chest. Yeah, that would make for an interesting post (enter sarcasm). But wouldn't you know it, my family passed out on the trip. ;O) I take it as a compliment that they can sleep while having faith in my driving. Although, I'm more than positive, they were super tired and needed to catch some Zzzzzs.

Well done. It was a good Holiday. I'm thankful for my family and our time together. Family is family and sometimes we have those rough patches. I certainly appreciate those times. All more to appreciate when we have passed the patch. Now if I can withstand the evil power of my mom's kitchen, I will be good. I fall weak onto it's power to just consume, consume, consume! The kitchen is my kryptonite!! It's a vortex of consumption and calories. I might implode at any moment.

Frickin kitchen. It erases the moment that I last ate, so my mind thinks I haven't eaten in forever! ahhhh!

Dueces,
E.

No comments: