When in doubt, pedal out!

When in doubt, pedal out!
It's what I do.

Drink up!

Drink up!

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Character Counts!


I just hopped off my bike from an evening ride through campus.  There is just something so peaceful about riding at night.  When no one is out - the world is silent.  There are no cars, no people....just you and the hills.  You and the wind.  You and the night.  There is just something about the wind in a ride.  It can be your enemy or it can be your assistant.  But also, it can be the whisper of peace.  Just riding and listening to the sound of the wind in my ears...I love that.  I feel unstoppable.   I feel free.   

Today was a first time in a long time that I have had a long day at the "office."  I miss that.  We are in the midst of training and learning.  I feel that I'm learning everyday.  And now that our leadership students are back, I'm gaining from their experience in this field.  I had the opportunity to sit for an extended period of time with one and really mash out some professional development.  I like that stuff.  If I can connect and get one student motivated, imagine what that student will  do with that energy.... I love that thought.  We talked about empowerment and providing to others.  I love talks like these.  We just want to take that to all the students and students to be.  Imagine if you can just impact one person.  And maybe that very person will impact another and so on and so on....  A global domino effect.  

So after a productive day of training and listening and thinking outside the box..... I hopped online to browse for motivational poster for my office.  I found a pic that might help me along the semester.  I posted it above.  Choosing our words is so important.  It just leads to so much more than what we say b/c it has an effect on those that hear it, and also transforms our actions....and in the end our destiny.  If we can select the right words and words of empowerment, we can help others around us grow and develop their character.  I like the pic and the sports reference in it.  Play fair, but play firm too.  Play strong.  Live fair.  Live firm.  Live strong.  OK, that last part was some of my add in. :)

I'm glad I had the chance to ride today.  My bike just kept staring at me as I sat on the couch using the laptop.  I couldn't have a day (especially this day) with out a ride.  I wasn't sure if I was going to get a chance, but you know....if you want it - go get it!

Keep on Pedaling, 
E. 


No comments: